Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Crowned Jewel of Sedalia - The Guberburger


After driving past the Wheel Inn Drive In billboard on Route 50 between KC and Jeff City every week for a year, I decided it was finally time to try the "Famous Guberburger". So once in Sedalia, I took the four block detour down Route 65 to the Wheel In Drive In, and sat at the counter to order a guberburger, fries, and a Diet Coke.

The good news. The Wheel Inn Drive In is no greasy spoon. It has a 50s diner decor, and is very clean and new looking inside. The service and kitchen staff - three rather matronly ladies -were fast, helpful, and small town friendly. Prices on the menu are low, with almost every burger on the menu under $4.00.

In the not-so-great side - well the guberburger itself. It's been the specialty at the Wheel Inn for over 50 years, but I, for one, just don't get the attraction. The guberburger is a hamburger bun, a beef patty, peanut butter on top of the meat, and then topped with lettuce, tomato, and salad dressing ($3.40). I'm assuming there was salad dressing on it, because I never actually tasted it. The problem with the g-burger - the peanut butter is so overwhelming that you don't really taste anything else. You can barely taste the burger. They do also have a double meat guberburger, but I doubt that would make a difference.

I guess it's an acquired taste. I just haven't acquired it.

There were other local specialties on the menu that looked pretty interesting, and would be worth another stop at the Wheel Inn in Sedalia. I'll probably try the bacon sandwich next time, or - if I need to eat enough to last a couple days - the Wimpy Burger, with three meat patties and three slices of cheese. They also have an egg sandwich, and a bacon and egg sandwich, topped with lettuce, tomato, and Miracle Whip. Just like Mom used to make.

The Wheel Inn Drive In
2103 S Limit (Route 65 South)
Sedalia MO
660-826-5

No comments:

Post a Comment