Monday, July 5, 2010

Flynnfest #43 - Uncertain Glory



What can I say? I liked this movie. Even at the time, it was completely off the normal track for Errol. There is a Casablanca aspect to this movie that I like. Probably Paul Lukas. Made the same year as his greatest - and Academy Award winning Watch on the Rhine - this was a great year for Paul Lukas. He later starred with Errol in the 1958 movie The Roots of Heaven, one of Errol's best later movies, made good no doubt to Lukas' presence. He was also with Errol in Kim - yet to be reviewed.

The story is unconventional, but in a very Errol sort of way. He plays an unrepentent scoundrel, a role he played in real life, but he certainly wasn't the unreformed murderer he plays in this role.

Heck, I might add more later. But I've got to move on with Flynnfest. This is a really good film, particularly for those who understand the films of the WWII era and the propaganda genre of the time (I like to think I understand it fairly well). And Errol is really friggin' good in this movie. 'Nuff said. Thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment