Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Not Enough Time Book List - Playing The Enemy


I ordered this book from Amazon the day after I saw the movie Invictus with Matthew. Rare enough that nowadays I'll pay full price for a book off Amazon (I couldn't find it on Ebay). But glad I did. Great book. Really, really great book.

By John Carlin, this is one of the best - and most readable - histories of South Africa and the end of apartheid. And a great intro to the novice (like me) into the world and personality of Nelson Mandela. And the story of the Springboks and the rugby World Cup - it's so inspiring, so moving, and well, if it didn't really happen, you'd swear it was a Hollywood movie script. That's probably why Invictus was such a great movie. Heck, who needed to write a script. History wrote it, better than any fiction writer could have.

No comments:

Post a Comment